Filed under Opinion

Why You Shouldn’t Long Term Ground Your Child

http://girliegirlarmy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/mother-child-discipline-small.jpg

Do you ever just get so angry at your child,  you ground them for weeks, and just think how else could I have handled that? If so, there are many ways you can handle your child’s behavior. Yet, long term grounding shouldn’t be a form of punishment. Three reasons why it shouldn’t be a form of punishment is because it’s not effective, it doesn’t teach your child the lesson they need to learn, and instead you should discuss it.

Long term grounding isn’t effective on children. If your child does something wrong your parents first response is,  You’re grounded for two weeks, no hanging out with friends and no phone’ but they only say that at that moment because they’re angry and don’t know how to handle the situation. Carloe Banks, parental support line advisor states, “ He will only be thinking about his anger toward you and believe you’re unreasonable and unfair.’’ With that said long term grounding your child isn’t effective because your child wouldn’t understand why you’re punishing them.

It doesn’t teach your child the lesson you want them to learn. Long term grounding doesn’t change your child’s behavior, and they aren’t going to learn the lesson, which means you’re just teaching them ‘ how to do time’.  “I lost this privilege because I didn’t come home when I should have; I am not trusted to be where I’m supposed to be and have lost the right to go out this weekend” is an example Carloe Banks gives as the logical response process your child should have.

Instead of long term grounding you should have a discussion with your child about what they did wrong and give them a punishment specifically for what they did. “ So use the consequences to require your child to practice the skill they need to improve their behavior.” States Carloe Banks as she talks about how to handle bad behavior instead of long term grounding. This means that your child will learn to fix their behavior and have a consequences.

Some parents say that long term grounding will help their child not misbehave the next time, so they take their privileges away for weeks. Although that may work sometimes, if it is constant your child will not understand why they’re grounded. Which makes long term grounding not effective. If you simply talk to your child about how irresponsible their actions were and how you can not trust them as much for that situation, make sure they think about ways to fix it.

At last, long term grounding shouldn’t be a form of punishment, it’s not effective, it doesn’t teach your child the lesson they need to learn, and instead you should have a discussion with your child. Next time if your child makes poor decisions, make sure you think to yourself; ‘instead of grounding them for weeks, how can I handle this, so they understand that was a very poor decision’.