Filed under Cool Stuff, Opinion, Reviews

Top 5 Hip-Hop Albums of 2017

In 1982, a group of African American men named Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five came out with a song called “ The Message” which explained the troubles of the African American community in the Bronx, New York. This song started a phenomenon that took over America. It gave a voice to people who really didn’t have a voice. It started a revolution that still lives on today. Now that it’s a new year, we think that we should recognize the best albums of 2017. Just don’t get too mad if your picks aren’t on this list.

Big Fish Theory by Vince Staples

Big Fish Theory was released on June 23, 2017. The album reached number 6 on the Billboard top 50 albums. This album is a nice mesh of Vince’s lyrics and flow to make a dozen songs that you can listen throughout the year.

EVERYBODY by Logic

EVERYBODY was released on May 5, 2017. This album had three supporting singles, “Everybody”, “Black Spiderman”, and “ 1-800-273-8255”. This album also got the number one spot on the US Billboard 200. We like this album because Logic as an artist is very talented. The album has good lyricism and flow.

Flowerboy by Tyler, the Creator

Flowerboy by Tyler, the Creator is an inspiring album that shows true creativity and how far our imaginations can go. On July 21, 2017 this album dropped and gave us a soul driven flurry of emotion and craziness. Tyler’s personality really shows through this album resulting in this great album. P.S: This album has so many catchy songs that will stay with you until you die.

4:44 by Jay-Z

4:44 was released on June 30, 2017. The album hit number one on the US Billboard 200 and was nominated for a Grammy for album of the year. The song “The Story Of O.J.” which was on the album was nominated a Grammy for record of the year. We like it because Jay-Z has had good albums over the years and this was one of his best

DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar

DAMN. is Kendrick Lamar’s latest album that released April 14, 2017 and has achieved highly by winning a Grammy for best hip hop album and had 3 singles on the Billboard Hot 100. The reason why we think this should be on the number 2 spot on our list is because of the lyricism and flow of the music. Not your average rap.

In the end, hip hop has and will always be influential to all and impact the lives of the public. These were just some of the albums from 2017 that impacted us in the biggest way. From shear lyricism, creative music that breaks the norm, and albums that mark the return of greats these albums will always have a place in history. Are there some albums that we slept on? If so, let us know in the comments.