Filed under Announcements

Winter SUN Session

“What is SUN?“ You may be asking, or you might already know. SUN is an after school program that brings people together and provides helpful services. It’s also a program of Metropolitan family service. For this after school program there are no registration fees. This program started on January 16th and ends on March 15th, 2018. It is Monday through Thursday after school from 3:45 to 5:25. At 5:35 the buses are available for people that need rides home or make transportation plans in advance. From 3:45 to 4:00 you are provided with a free meal. If you would not like a meal then you may have social time.

In homework club you do homework and people are there to help you if needed. This club is available for 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. For this club there is no messing around, and it is not a time to socialize. You must also be registered to participate. GRTV is the second educational club I will be telling you about.  In GRTV (Gordon Russell T.V.)  you learn about journalism and news reporting. You may also make videos, advertisements, film television broadcasts, and interview other students or staff at GRMS. It is every Tuesday after school, and fifteen people are in the club tops.

Another educational club is I-Ready U-Ready. I-Ready is an online program that helps you with math. There are two groups, A and B group. Group A is on Mondays and Wednesdays and group B is on Tuesdays and Thursdays. If you are into designing concepts, media marketing, internet tools, and applications then web design club will teach you all. It is only on Mondays. Just like GRTV only fifteen people are in the club tops. Is one of your favorite classes science or are you into technology? If so Legos (Lego Robotics) is the perfect club for you. In Lego Robotics you can learn problem solving, engineering, presentation techniques, and you can even learn about robots. If you would like to join, it is on Wednesdays and spaces are limited.

If you enjoy playing Pokemon or MTG I  recommend joining Strategic Card Game Club. You can prepare for trading, build your deck, and play with others. It is on Tuesdays after school if you are interested. Architecture is also a good club if you are interested in art and science of design and build. You can do hands-on activities and model your own 3D designs. It is on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays after school.

Wrestling is another very known activity. Wrestling influences self-reliance, self-confidence and self-discipline. In this activity you will work on your body strength and cardio. This runs on every day of the week except Fridays. They go to different schools and compete once trained. Not that good of a cook and want to be? Cooking SUN class is there to help. You will learn knife,culinary skills,understanding ingredients, food traditions and global food sourcing. This class only applies after school on Mondays.

I have heard Y.O.L.O is a pretty fun club. This club will show you leadership, the value in different attitudes and definitions of leadership. In Y.O.L.O you will meet new people,share ideas,set goals,show growth of youth and more. SASA is a new club that stands for self awareness and social awareness. Here you will find your identities creatively and in active outlets. Also develop social skills,building leadership,team qualities and explore venues for the relief in stress which is very helpful in life.

If I were to do any activity it would probably be photography. Learning how to take good pictures, basics of a camera, and how to avoid photography mistakes. It is after school on Thursdays and only 10 people can join. The last SUN class I will be talking about is GSA or known as Gay Straight Alliance. This is a really good club for people of  LGBTQ (lesbian,gay,bisexual,transgender, and Q is those who are queer or questioning their gender). This group has a good community, safety, empowerment, and education outreach.

Remember that no SUN on Fridays, started on January 16th, ends March 15th. Right after school at 3:45 till 5:35 buses leave. If you need any more information there are SUN program packets outside of the SUN room in the Explorers pod or you can email Barrera at barrera@gresham.k12.or.us or call 503-667-6900.