Filed under Opinion

The Most Hated Trend Of 2017

Reed Newman

Reed Newman

Now that 2017 has come to an end, we are still hoping to bring some of the trends that came with it. But many of them we’d like to leave behind.

Reed and I asked our yearbook class what trend of 2017 they hated most. Of course there were many different answers, but we were able to narrow it down to 16 different trends. Then Reed and I went around the cafeteria during 7th and 8th grade lunch, and we asked everyone the same question, “What trend of 2017 did you hate the most?” We ended up getting a whopping 211 opinions, and we also got some votes from staff. Then Mrs. Kahl asked 4 of her 6th grade classes which trend they hated most, and she came up with 115 votes. Out of the 6th, 7th and 8th graders combined, we had a grand total of 326 student opinions.

As you can see in the Pie Chart, the most hated trend at GRMS of 2017 was the Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge. In second place is the man bun, while third place ended up being fidget spinners.

Reed and I asked a lot of people what they thought the most hated trend was without actually giving them the answer, and it seemed that everyone thought fidget spinners would be the most hated trend of 2017 at GRMS.

“Fidget spinners were a mistake,” says Austin James, an eighth grader here at GRMS.

“Even though everyone played with them, we all now think that they’re stupid, it happens with every trend.” Mia Thanane said. The least hated trend from our list ended up being the trend of yelling out Vines, with about only 6 people who voted.

The Kylie Jenner Lip Challenge was an internet trend where people would often record themselves putting a shot glass around their lips and sucking the air out of it so it would stick to their face. After a couple minutes, they would take it off and their lips would be swollen and big. Sometimes if they held it there too long, the person’s lips would be bruised, or permanently damaged. This trend got its name after, Kylie Jenner, a reality TV show star, got professional lip injections. The world quickly took notice and tried to mimic her pout. Many people did it, and everyone who did, regretted it.

There are so many trends that come and go, and most of them end up being short term, and that’s a good thing. Now that 2018 has begun we are all excited to see what ridiculous trends are created next. Maybe an old trend will come back, or a trend that has been around for years will finally die out. You never know what will happen.