• March 20First home track meet is May 3rd.

13 Reasons Why – Book Review

With the Netflix series based on the book coming out on March 31, I thought it would be appropriate to do a book review on the story 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher. This novel is set around Clay, a teenager, who discovers a set of tapes at his door. He soon finds out that the tapes were sent by Hannah, his former classmate. The thing is, Hannah is dead. She committed suicide, and these tapes are saying that Clay is one of the reasons why. Readers listen to the tapes with Clay. We hear what he hears, we know what he knows, and we feel what he feels.

There are thirteen people that are sent the tapes, and each has their own story. Hannah explains to all thirteen listeners what they did to affect her and her decision to do what she did. Clay, however, is different. As you learn, his story is not quite like the others.

This book deals with mature issues such as suicide, underage drinking, and has some sexual content. It’s not too long, but it certainly isn’t short, either. This book is probably best for eighth graders and some seventh graders, but it’s really up to your own level of maturity.

Honestly, I didn’t really enjoy this book. The characters weren’t very likable, and however sad the overall plot of the story was, sadness wasn’t the emotion I was feeling. Mostly, I was annoyed and angry, and I found it hard to feel sorry for Hannah. Maybe I simply don’t understand Hannah’s struggle since she’s not the one truly telling the story, but I thought the way she blamed everyone else a bit irritating.

That’s not to say that you won’t love it. Plenty of reviews raved about the book; it simply did not speak to me. It’s still a decent read, and if it sounds good to you, you should definitely check it out.