• March 20First home track meet is May 3rd.

Filed under Cool Stuff

Blaze

Blaze

A girl who is as free as the wind. With golden hair and sparkly blue eyes came into my life in 5th grade. Or I came into hers. I was new to the school and I was new to the state. I had lived in California all my life up until I was 8. I hadn’t liked the idea of moving to a new state where I hadn’t known anyone. It was hard moving away. I had my whole family and all I’ve ever known down there. My mom said we’d have a better life, I trusted her with all my heart.

We left my grandparents house early in the morning; we arrived at my new, but temporary home around 7 at night. It was in the summer so the sun was barley setting behind this townhouse that was owned by a grandparent I had never met.  We moved out before school started into an apartment in Troutdale. It was spacious and something I could get use to. I ended up going to a school I was out of district to because my mom started babysitting my 2nd cousins and had to take them to school. It was easier on her if we all went to the same school. I made a lot of friends during those few short months there, a best friend even. Her name was Carmen.

Carmen is an islander with beautiful dark skin, hair, and eyes. She was very artistic and loud, but I didn’t mind. I was from southern California, so you could say that she was my kind of person. When I moved schools it was so sudden I didn’t get to say good bye. My mom had told my brother and I as we walked out of school that we weren’t going there anymore because she wasn’t babysitting my 2nd cousins anymore. She had got a new job as an ultrasound technician in Oregon city, however we’d stay in our apartment in Troutdale. Carmen and I had talked about me going to Troutdale before I left. When I got to my new school I had to letters waiting for me sent by Carmen and a boy named Parker. I ripped Carmen’s open with that came a drawing of her and I hugging each other with a friendship necklace. She was sad in the letter and I cried reading it; I missed her so much. Shortly after, I opened Parker’s. He wrote, “When you came into a room you never failed to light it up and it’s sad you never got to say goodbye.” He had written more,but that is all I had remembered because right after I had to throw it away, so my dad wouldn’t see. He is a smart boy a very intelligent one at that. Still today I smile at that because they came from a boy I hardly even knew. That sentence, however is more fitting for a blued eyed beauty. For the sake of this story the blued eyed beaut will go by the name Blaze.

I had transferred to a different school by the time I had come across Blaze. My parents had bought a house in Gresham. I attended Hall elementary for my last year of grade school. I had been going to that school for a while when I first met her. My best friend Jailynn Seet and I were walking to our classroom from recess. The girls at that time had a thing for playing with hair during story time. Blaze and her friend sat behind Jailynn and I and started with our hair. Jailynn and I just looked at each other and shrugged. The next day they did it again. By the third day I didn’t want them messing with my hair anymore, but I didn’t want to hurt their feelings, so I kept my mouth shut. All four 0f us became friends. I later found out that I was like a new shiny toy to Blaze and her friend. They would fight over who I had talked to first and things like that. Blaze was a sweet girl. She didn’t have as much things as the rest of us did, but that didn’t stop her from being who she was. She did have one thing that the rest of us did not have and that was freedom.

Blaze would walk to the store by herself and anywhere else within a few short minutes of her house. Looking back that was the coolest thing to have. Now that freedom has turned her into a different person. Today she lies to her mom. Today she smokes. Today she goes out and stays out late. This all started with freedom. She had gotten more of it as she grew older and after her dad passed away. Her mom is a sweet lady and knows how hard it is to be a girl with not so much. Blaze’s mom had Blaze as a teen and tried hard to make ends meet. Unfortunately, today that hasn’t really paid off. Fortunately, Blaze has shown me what the world can do to a person if not guided in the right direction. Her ways have taught me to want more for my future. More than what my parents had , my grandparents and their parents had. Blaze did not learn from her mother’s mistakes and she will lead a different life than what I will. Or she’ll learn a little later and live a better life than I will. It’s up to her. Realizing how different we are, made me want to strive for better. Blaze is one of the reasons why education is one of my greatest values. Blaze is one of the reason why I value family and friends. Because without them and their mistakes, I wouldn’t be who I am today. I wouldn’t have learned as early as I did that life is hard and life doesn’t hand things to you on a silver platter and in order to get somewhere in life it takes hard work and dedication. Blaze and I may not be friends today, but I still care for her. She’s important to my story and always will be.